Thread: Globe MyFi Price Drop

Almighty Member

Globe MyFi Price Drop

So this was the surprise promo that Globe reps told me the day they talked to us about the MyFi and they really did good with their promise. A reader tipped us that Globe has dropped their MyFi devices by almost 50% off!

For Globe MyFi PostPaid accounts, it’s down from Php250/month to:

Php149/month on Plan 499
    Php99/month on Plan 999
    For Prepaid accounts, it is now down to Php4,000 one-time from Php7,000 previously.

Looks like Globe has finally decided to subsidize the units to push sales of these units

Globe MyFi: 10 Things You Need to Know
    Published by: yuga under: Mobile , Telecoms. 38 replies
    posted: September 6th, 2010

Globe Telecom lent us their new toy — the mobile 3G router they call Globe MyFi. I’d like to share 10 things about the MyFi so you’re better informed about it before deciding to go and get one.

The device is a branded version of the Huawei E5830 3G router. This is the same 3G router being sold by Three (3) telecom in Hong Kong since at least year ago (they call it 3 MiFi there). It has been available in the grey market and in online stores for Php7k to Php12k, depending on the source.
    The Globe MyFi works like the Globe Tattoo USB dongle with an additional WiFi router function. As such, you can also hook it up to the USB port of your PC or laptop as a 3G modem. The device comes with a similar software dialer too.
    The Huawei E5830 comes with a removable battery — a 1500mAh Li-Ion (almost identical to the battery of the Nokia E71 or E63). The battery lasts between 3 hours to 5 hours of use, depending on how many devices are connected and the usage pattern (downloading large files tend to eat up a lot more juice).
    The device has an LED display that serves as status indicator for WiFi connectivity, battery life, 3G (WAN availability), among others. To set it up, you’ll need to be connected to the WiFi and fire up your browser to 192.168.1.1 to get to the admin panel (here’s where you set the APN settings and the security protocols).
    You can get the MyFi from Globe two ways — get it with a Prepaid Kit for a one-time fee of Php7,000 or get a 2-year Postpaid Plan 499 or 999 and just add Php250 per month on top of your plan (makes Php6,000 in two years).
    The MyFi can serve up to 5 WiFi devices but can also be used as a 3G USB modem like most other existing 3G dongles (this allows you to conserve battery and charge it up at the same time). I think this hard limit prevents congesting the bandwidth of the single 3G connection.
    The device also has a microSD card slot that supports up to 32GB. However, you can only access the storage via a mini-USB cable and not over WiFi (would have been nice if it worked like a NAS or something).
    The biggest advantage with the MyFi is that you can freely position or place the 3G router anywhere you get the best 3G reception. You’re not restricted to a cable or anything. As an example, certain parts of my house don’t get good 3G signal so I just place the MyFi near the window and it gets HSDPA signal already (which it re-broadcasts via WiFi in the home).
    WiFi range is decent (802.11 b/g) and can easily do around 10 meters but degrades really quick against obstacles such as walls or doors. On battery, it saves up power by lowering the signal strength but will go full signal strength when plugged to an outlet or a USB port.
    Makes it really worth it if you carry multiple WiFi devices all the time — like a smartphone, an iPad WiFi and a laptop — so you only use a single unlimited data SIM for connectivity. Just don’t forget to get that Enegizer XPal portable power pack or have a USB car charger tucked in the glove compartment.

On the contrary, the Globe MyFi is still a bit on the expensive side (you need to have a really compelling use-case to justify it over a USB dongle). I think it’s mainly due to supply and demand. I remember those 3G USB dongles cost about Php3,995 when they first came out. Even that Sierra wireless card for PLDT WeRoam was selling for Php7,500 back then. I’m sure the price will eventually go down to more affordable levels.

Founding Member
    madali lang kaya iopen line ito? gusto ko kumuha nun prepaid

Saw a MiFi in person wow ang liit pala. Guy said it lasts 4 hours. Not bad.

Founding Member
    Gino bili ka na. Pag maganda review mo kuha din ako.

Bababa rin price nyan soon. Naalala ko ung mga usb stick bumili sister ko dati 4k but now below 1k nalng. Hahaha.

Gusto ko Smart.

Intense Poster

The Huawei E5850 Mifi of globe can be unlocked... just search the web.

What I have is the newer model the Huawei E585 with a more useful OLED display which is basically the same size as the E5850 and the Huawei E220.

Compare the looks below:

Very convenient for me and my wife when we need to share a connection with all our devices over a long period of time. We could always use a mobile phone yes, but phone usually heats up fast and consumes a lot of power when used as a modem.
    My BLOG at http://myeeepcmylife.com.ph/dlreyes/ CAN'T update daily

BNC XE Guru
    dlreyes: nice! ang ganda ng bagong E585.

Founding Member
    I am more interested in their Wimax service, since this is more or less like a Symbian Wifi phone with Joikuspot...

Intense Poster

As of now there are only a few wimax areas offered by Globe and Wi-Tribe (still bad service) not discounting the fact that what they are offering are big Customer Premise Equipments (CPE) compared to the MiFi devices. (I think they will be coming out with wimax USB dongles soon).

Joikuspot is good but as I mentioned, the phone heats up after a few minutes. I had a "special" sim which was toasted and those "special" sims are now hard to come by so I've learned my lesson.

special sims? are those the unlimited sims?

Founding Member
    @dlreyes

Magkano kuha mo sa E585? aside from the display, ano pa diprensiya niya old model?

Intense Poster

Cost is somewhere from Php 6,500 to Php 8,000 from online sellers like TipidPC or even some oldtime members of this forum. Infomax sells it at a ridiculous price of Php 13,000.

The difference from http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/48...ile-wi-fi-e585

"Well the newer E585 now features a far more useful OLED display, detailing a number of key bits of information that help you understand what the hell is going on. It's as if the company had heard us.

We say that, because that was our biggest complaint with the E5830: it was hard to really understand what was actually going, as the multi-coloured lights present in the older model didn't really tell you much. Gone are the confusing buttons on the right-hand side of the unit, and in its stead is one single power switch that lets you turn it on and off.

Also added, is a new monochrome OLED display that gives you signal strength, an indicator as to whether not you are connected to 3G or HSDPA, the amount of devices you have connected to the hub, battery level, which network you are on - although before you get excited it's locked to 3 - and most importantly for those that are worried about data usage; how much data and time you've spent/used in that session.

The good news though, is that the screen actually tells you what is happening rather than just a series of coloured icons. If you've got no network connection it will tell you. If your signal is super strong you get a message letting you know that too. It's just so much easier than before.

But it isn't just the hardware that has changed. Getting online is considerably easier too. Turn it on, select the wireless network you've created, punch in the password and away you go. No extra buttons to press or hoops to jump through.

If that wasn't enough to impress, mobile operator 3 has created a hub which is now available for Windows, Mac and Linux users; meaning the dongle can be used to access the Internet without having to install any software.

Type in 3.home and you get whisked away to a panel that shows you information like data usage, text messages, your account details, and for some reason shortcuts to your favourite sites like Twitter and Facebook. You also get a second graphical display of battery life and connectivity info. (Note: This works even with a Philippine Sim inserted so I could see my actual data upload and download for a period specified and could even reset it).

It's also through here that you get access to your microSD memory card, if you have one installed in the device, and through the system you can share files with any of the other four users (five can use the device at once) on the network."

Newbie Poster
    Baka inuubos na lang ng globe yung stocks nila tapos E585 na ang ibebenta nila sa susunod

Intense Poster

I heard from the grapevine that SUN is coming out with the Huawei E585 very soon... unconfirmed reports...

Sapido GR-1102

Instead of MiFi, I'm using my Mobile Hotspot (Sapido) so that I can use it anywhere (basta may signal).

It uses an AC adapter, 5V cellphone charger, 12V car charger or laptop USB port. At least, you don't have to use the wifi for just 4 hrs only since MiFis don't have extended battery capacity.

http://www.bncxe.org/showthread.php?t=40055&page=6

My new iPad 2 32GB wifi, 3G, iOS 4.3.3
    My iPad 2 32GB wifi, iOs 4.3.3
    My new Blackberry Torch 9800
    My iPhone 3GS 32GB iOS 4.3.3
    Samsung Jet s8003
    My Sony Ericsson c902
    My Nokias 5800, 2700, 1600 & 2600
    Cell# 09228-AVS111

I just use my Nokia N78 with Joikuspot Premium (€5). The app shows you exactly what is going on. I get 2 hours 3G wifi tethering. This is fine since on the average I take 1 hour coffee breaks. If I need more, Nokia batteries are cheap.

The new E585 is very cute in person. It is thin and slick looking. If I were a heavy user this will be a good choice. A nice gadget to hold.
    Last edited by Gino; October 2nd, 2010 at 11:17 AM.

Intense Poster

Quote Originally Posted by joveth View Post
    Instead of MiFi, I'm using my Mobile Hotspot (Sapido) so that I can use it anywhere (basta may signal).

It uses an AC adapter, 5V cellphone charger, 12V car charger or laptop USB port. At least, you don't have to use the wifi for just 4 hrs only since MiFis don't have extended battery capacity.

http://www.bncxe.org/showthread.php?t=40055&page=6
    You can also use the Mifi Huawei models with a USB adapter (included and compatible with my Nokia N96 phone) and plug either to your notebook, AC adapter or DC adapter to have longer hours or just simply to charge it while using. The beauty of it is that it could run on its own power when unplugged.

Aside from this, I also use a Billion wireless router (2 years already) for DSL and wireless modems which have similar features as the Sapido. I even brought this in a BNC EB at Chef's Quarters Megamall so everyone who attended could enjoy free wifi.

Almighty Member
    ano maganda 3G connection to replace dsl? will it runs faster than landline dsl? cheaper?
    am still looking for a solution to replace my PLDT dsl here in Binondo house.
    I will need torrent & simple browsing & email lang, nothing fancy

Intense Poster

Check which of the services have the stronger signal in your area. Globe and Smart cost Php 999 unlimited, Sun at Php 799 or Php 649 if bundled with CTU or charged with Citibank credit card up to october 31, 2010 (Globe and Sun up to 2mbps while Smart claims up to 3mbps if using 850mhz)

Newbie Poster

Icon7 where could pick the unlocked HUAWEI E585

is there any1 share how to verified the HUAWEI E585 is unlocked and where could pick the 3g router in a good price with the good quality, thank you.

Almighty Member
    unlock e585 are available from longbeard. you can search him at TPC
    e585 is already a 3g router

but if you want a stand alone 3g router, get asus or sapido

psssssst
    Quote Originally Posted by dlreyes View Post
    As of now there are only a few wimax areas offered by Globe and Wi-Tribe (still bad service) not discounting the fact that what they are offering are big Customer Premise Equipments (CPE) compared to the MiFi devices. (I think they will be coming out with wimax USB dongles soon).

Joikuspot is good but as I mentioned, the phone heats up after a few minutes. I had a "special" sim which was toasted and those "special" sims are now hard to come by so I've learned my lesson.
    Uminit din yung ginamit ko joikuspt , pag matagal ko gamitin, masisira ba yung phone? Eh kung itapat ko sa electric fan while using?
    To GOD Be The GLORY!!!